HOWTO: Get started, gain macports-foo, make bad first impression

Jay Levitt lists-macports at shopwatch.org
Fri May 2 05:04:04 PDT 2008

Rainer Müller wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> The other problem with parallel builds is that they are not identical
>> each time you run them. The build may succeed 3 times, then fail the
>> 4th. I personally haven't had the time to try to build each of my
>> ports several times with parallel build on to see if they repeatably
>> build correctly.
>
> If the port does not build correctly the dependencies in the Makefile
> are wrong. If it ever fails for someone and he/she files some ticket it
> can be disabled. Usually there is no need to test it multiple times or
> something like that.

I think "multiple times" may be a proxy for "under slightly different
circumstances that trigger race conditions"...

> As I said before in other emails, we will not be able to provide
> packages for each and every variant combination (that would be 2^n for a
> port with n variants). So building custom ports on the end-user side
> will still happen even once we ship binary packages for default_variants.

Good point.  If you can hit 80% of the user base with binary builds,
you've made a lot of people very happy.

(That said, I am very pleased with the build speed on my shiny new
dual-quad-core-Xeon 3.2GHz Mac Pro with 16GB RAM, four Cheetah 15K.5 SAS
drives, and ccache enabled.  I just want to throw that out there.  You
know, as a data point.)

Jay