[41395] trunk/dports/devel/autoconf/Portfile

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sat Nov 1 16:21:54 PDT 2008

Joshua Root wrote:
> David Evans wrote:
>
>> Something not right here.  I just tried upgrading autoconf and even
>> though the path
>> /opt/local/bin/perl exists (because perl5.8 is installed), port perl5
>> was built but activation
>> failed because of the conflict with perl5.8.
>>

> That's the problem that my change fixed. Is your PortIndex up to date?
> That's where upgrade gets the depspecs.

After syncing to get the new Portindex, I reverted back to the
previously built autoconf @2.62_0.

As a result of the previous upgrade attempt, I now have two versions of
perl installed as follows:

  perl5 @5.8.8_0
  perl5.8 @5.8.8_3+darwin_8 (active)

Upon attempting to upgrade to autoconf @2.63_0, port decided to try and
activate perl5 since it is installed rather than go with the perl5.8
that was already active. Of course, this didn't work.

So the dependency

depends_lib path:bin/perl:perl5

seems to mean: "use perl5 if you have it installed (even if it isn't
active) but if it's not installed don't install it if the specified path
exists."

I'm not sure what the agenda is with the new perl5 port but if the idea
is to eventually replace port perl5.8 with it then ports that depend on
perl5.8 shouldn't be changed to perl5 (even with a path dependency)
until we're ready for the switch and then change the dependencies in all
effected ports at once.

Looks like doing this piecemeal won't work since you can't have perl5
installed for some and perl5.8 installed for others.

Dave