X11 in Macports

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Nov 23 03:22:13 PST 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Oh and one more issue I just remembered... I've seen quite a few
> ports do:
>
> prefix ${x11prefix}
>
> This seems to be a clear violation of the "nothing in /usr"
> policy... and as someone who feels some amount of ownership of /usr/
> X11, I don't want to see it get potentially thrashed...

I think /usr/X11{,R6} was an exception, then it again the policy
wasn't enforced much.

Then again /usr/X11R6 used to be hardcoded too, so things have
changed a bit since.

> Am I correct in assuming that this is flat out wrong and should be
> reverted back to installing into the macports dstroot?  Or was
> there some reason for doing this that I'm not seeing?

Think it was a technical limitation, with some things not working
outside ${x11prefix}...

Something like how .app bundles don't work fully outside an /
Applications location or so.

--anders