Framework install location

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Oct 12 02:02:07 PDT 2008

Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> We currently have an inconsistency concerning framework install
> locations:
> trunk, by default, sets frameworks_dir to /Library/Frameworks [1]; the
> python ports (2.4 and later versions) all use ${prefix}/Library/
> Frameworks.

I don't think the python ports follow anyone elses rules. It might even
still have installed under ${prefix}/lib when frameworks_dir was added.

But it would probably be a good idea to install all frameworks to the
same location, I think libsdl-framework still uses /Library/Frameworks.

> Fortunately, frameworks_dir is only on trunk right now so can be
> pretty
> safely changed (trunk is the in-development version, after all),
> and it
> makes more sense to keep as much as possible under ${prefix}, so I
> propose
> we change aclocal.m4 to use the same location as the python ports by
> default.  Going forward, the python ports will need to be updated
> to use
> frameworks_dir instead of hardcoding, but that isn't too difficult
> (I've
> done that for 2.6 in #16765 [2]).  Only one other port uses
> frameworks_dir
> currently, MacPorts_Framework, so not too much work to update.

The configure scripts used the /Applications and /Library locations
(or ~/Applications and ~/Library) because that was the rule at the time,
made it easier to integrate with things outside of MacPorts itself such
as Xcode or Services. That applied to applications/frameworks/
tclpackage.

I would prefer prefix, myself...

> Are there any objections to this change?  The only issue is that
> ${prefix}/Library/Frameworks isn't in the default framework search
> path like
> /Library/Frameworks, but that is rectified with a compiler switch
> (just like
> needing to use a switch to use libraries and headers in ${prefix}
> now).

No objections from me, at least.

Last time I looked, the Xcode group rules needed some additions to use
the ${applications_dir} and ${frameworks_dir} instead of project
settings.
So when stopping with hardcoding the paths, those would need adding too
in order to keep all the MP-installed frameworks in the same location.

--anders