[49158] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/muniversal-1.0.tcl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 8 20:02:14 PDT 2009

On Apr 8, 2009, at 20:44, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Also, for myself I just never looked at the code in muniversal. But
> basically it is running extract/patch/configure/build for each
> architecture in a different work directory, right?
>
> I would introduce a new merge target in port1.0 which does the actual
> merging. Targets can declare dependency on other targets, which is
> basically how it all links together. So this merge target just
> needs to
> depend on multiple appropriate extract/patch/configure/build targets.
> But running targets multiple times is currently not done anywhere else
> in the base code. So we need something to distinguish between them and
> figure out a way how to pass them special options, e.g. the
> architecture
> and working directory.

I still think rather than devote a lot of energy to this mechanism,
we should instead focus on building binaries, and let the server
merge them together -- or even let the user download both the powerpc
and intel binaries and have the user's macports merge them. Either
way, we wouldn't have to worry about figuring out how to let the
phases run multiple times, because the server would just run "port
install" multiple times instead.