volatile variants (was Re: Gimp 2.6 & Pango 1.8 : no font rendering)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Tue Apr 14 16:49:23 PDT 2009

I think it might be wise to create a list of such volatile variants
(system_x11, universal, no_x11, etc) and mention them to users in the
install guide, so they can make decisions about them before it's too
late.

Also, this brings up a point that has been bothering me for a while.
Why do we have so many variants for what should really be a single
binary decision: +x11, +no_x11, +quartz, +no_quartz, +aqua