lengthy build - changed Portfile - need to continue without removing build results

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Apr 24 16:35:58 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 01:37:48PM -0700, Darren Weber said:
> I'm working on vtk-devel Portfile and I have:
> a) completed a lengthy build of VTK
> b) edited parts of the Portfile that affect downstream stages from the build
> (ie, destroot command)
>
> How can I continue with the downstream stages without losing the build?
>
> The default behavior is to clean everything when the Portfile is newer than
> some state file (I don't yet understand how state files work).  I see the
> following options to port that might be useful:
>
> −f force mode (ignore state file)
> −o honor state files older than Portfile
> −k keep mode (don't autoclean after install)
>
> Given everything is done up to 'port build <port>' and then Portfile is
> changed to modify the destroot phase only, what is the best option to
> proceed with destroot:
>
> a) port -f destroot <port>
> b) port -o destroot <port>

What I do when first building a port is to run through destroot normally,
and if there's anything to change just there, update the Portfile as
appropriate.  Then, remove the work/destroot directory, and finally edit the
statefile (work/.macports.<portname>.state) to remove the destroot target
line, so port thinks it has to destroot again.  This way the state file is
still newer than Portfile (since it was edited second) and I don't have to
wait for configure/build again.

Bryan