+system_x11 to bite the dust

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Apr 29 12:50:01 PDT 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, at 12:41, David Evans wrote:
> I agree that this would be a move toward simplification, but the
> interest in universal builds makes me think that a number of people
> are using
> MacPorts to build applications to be distributed in binary form to
> various target architectures.  It would make sense to me that in
> this case that
> end users should be able to expect any X11 based applications to
> work correctly with the X11 server that MacOS provides out of the box.

Yes, the X11 applications will work on any X11 server.  You can even
install Xfree86-3.x on FreeBSD on another machine and run the macports
X11 apps on it.

> So is this true or would such users need to install xorg-server as
> well?  If so, do all Apple supplied X11 clients work correctly with
> xorg-server?

This would actually be preferred for Tiger users.  Apple's bundled X11
server is quite dated.  The only known incompatibility is with the new
libGL and the old server.  If users want good GLX performance on
Tiger, they should use xorg-server instead of the Apple-provided
X11.app.