libzdb help!

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Feb 10 15:11:34 PST 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 15:50, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> libzdb does nothing without one of the three supported dbs installed.
>
> And know one will probably want it unless they are already
> installing something else that needs it.
>
> But if I add it as a dependancy to dbmail-devel (I'm porting this
> now) and dbmail-devel needs one of the same three db's I could
> maybe just combine the two distributions and configure libzdb for
> what ever db backend variants were chosen for dbmail-devel?
>
> Because if I just add libzdb as a dependancy for dbmail-devel I
> won't have control over variant's for libzdb. Right?
>
> That's why I was thinking of just letting libzdb find the available
> db's on it's own since at least one of the db's variants in dbmail-
> devel MUST be chosen so there will always be at least one.

If you have database variants in dbmail-devel, then put those same
variants into libzdb. When a user installs dbmail-devel with one of
those variants, if libzdb was not already installed, MacPorts will
pass those variant selections to libzdb and it will be installed with
the same variants. There is a potential problem if libzdb was already
installed with a different set of variants, but that can perhaps be
addressed later.