[44730] trunk/dports/graphics/cairo/Portfile

David Evans devans at macports.org
Fri Jan 2 13:17:44 PST 2009

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2009, at 10:44, Adam Mercer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 18:18,  <jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:
>>> Revision 44730 Author jeremyhu at macports.org Date 2009-01-02 10:18:30
>>> -0800
>>> (Fri, 02 Jan 2009)
>>>
>>> Log Message
>>>
>>> cairo: Added missing dep on librsvg
>>
>> What does this bring cario, as adding this brings in quite a few
>> gnome packages?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Adam
>
> I was getting an error running a gtk2 application that was trying to
> open an svg file.  I noticed cairo "fail" looking for librsvg, and
> installing it first fixed the problem.  When I looked into it deeper,
> I realized cairo only uses rsvg to test svg support and that the real
> place the dep needed to be was in gtk2.
>
> --Jeremy
I think you had it right the first time.  gtk has no direct dependencies
on librsvg but cairo supports an SVG
surface backend which requires it.  This is controlled during cairo
configure using

  --enable-svg=[no/auto/yes]
                          Enable cairo's SVG surface backend feature
                          [default=yes]

Since cairo's default is to include the SVG backend, then I think the
dependency on librsvg should be
included by default and a variant added to disable SVG surfaces
(removing the dependency) if this is not desired.

Currently, cairo will automatically enable SVG surfaces if librsvg
happens to be installed and disable it
otherwise, leading to unpredictable configurations and/or results.