Restructuring Python ports?

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jan 2 13:18:48 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 11:58:41AM -0800, Neil said:
[...]
> Why not just take advantage of variants?
>
> We could have python##, with three variants:
> minimal: just the basic python stuff (ie. python-core)
> normal: most, but not all, of the dependencies, as in FreeBSD
> full: a full standard installation, with all deps
>
> And then just make the normal variant the default.

The problem with using variants is two-fold: one, you can't depend on
variants currently [1]; and two, if someone installs python without what
they need, they need to completely rebuild the port with the new variant,
instead of just adding the other bits later.

Bryan

[1] - <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/126>