Improving trace mode

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sat Jan 3 01:34:22 PST 2009

On Jan 3, 2009, at 1:06 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> When a file access outside of the sandbox (deps, Xcode, SDKs etc.) is
> detected, it denies access to this file. But if you build some port
> and
> it cannot access a file the build often either fails completely or is
> unfinished.

 From what I recall from the conversations between Paul Guyot, Landon
Fuller, and others behind trace mode, this is sort of the point.  A
port is supposed to declare its dependencies, not write to areas
outside of MacPorts' control, and otherwise behave itself.  If it's
not behaving itself then one might argue that it *should* fail so that
a bug report will be filed appropriately.  Unless I misunderstand your
proposal completely, it sounds like you want to simply neuter trace
mode so it's no longer, in effect, fulfilling its expected purpose.

- Jordan