Improving trace mode

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sun Jan 4 12:52:30 PST 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 4:24 AM, Joshua Root wrote:

> It sounds to me like trace mode just needs a better whitelist, and
> also
> a "greylist" which would warn on access but not prevent it.

+1.  I agree, this is the best direction for making tracemode "more
reasonable" while still making sure that ports are at least *aware*
of, and willing to essentially document in a formalized way, their
more unusual dependencies through some regexp'y set of whitelist/
greylist entries (I'm just designing off the top of my head now here,
but it also seems like whether the action is "allow", "warn", or
"other" should simply be some expression passed as an argument to the
function which registers whitelist entries).

- Jordan