Wiki-like markup for Guide

C. Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 00:42:15 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM,  <markd at macports.org> wrote:

>>> I think we like our docbook-xml Guide... a lot of work was put into
>>getting
>>> it the way it is. What objections do you have to the way it's being done
>>> now? Let's discuss.
>
> There are several issues that I think have made wikis not sufficiently
> attractive for us.

Ok, I guess I didn't make my intent clear enough. My suggestion is not
to use a wiki as documentation. I think we have that already, that's fine,
and it serves a different need.

My suggestion is about using a different format: instead of an complicated
XML vocabulary a lightweight markup language [1]. I think Textile and Markdown
are the most commonly used ones. Those are best known as the raw format of
wikis, that's why I called it wiki-like. That way the documentation
would still be in
a single place in the svn. I find that an important property as well.
But it does
not necessitate use of xml.

Florian

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language