nice configure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 15 19:45:35 PST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 21:54, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> If you set "buildnicevalue" in ${prefix}/etc/macports/
> macports.conf, MacPorts runs the build phase through the "nice"
> command so that "port" runs at a lower priority and doesn't steal
> cycles from other processor-intensive tasks you might have running.
>
> Would there be any advantage (or rather any disadvantage) to making
> the other phases, in particular the configure phase, nice as well?

I can now provide one example in favor of this change: during the
configure phase, the cmake port compiles a bootstrap version of
cmake. So it would be nice (a-ha!) if that would also be run through
nice.

Can anybody suggest a reason why we would not want to make this
change? If not, I will file an enhancement request.