xorg-*proto ports and system_x11

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 10:14:00 PST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 05:33, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:

> Why do the xorg-* ports which have a system_x11 variant still
> pull in xorg-*proto ports?

yeah, I was on the fence about that, TBH.  They're just header files
(which need to be compatible with whatever is in $x11prefix anyways),
and the main reason for doing all of this is to control the lib linking.

> If I need to install install Xft2 +system_x11 (for tk),
> I still get header files from xorg-xproto.

Yeah... it just really complicates things on Tiger with +system_x11 if
we start pruning out header files that are already available.  For
example, libAppleWM has stayed the same, but the protocol headers have
been updated to add new functionality that is necessary for the new
server.

> I am far from an expert on X11, but it seems to me that we either
> need to
> add a system_x11 variant to the proto ports or trim down the
> dependencies
> of the current system_x11 ports.

I'd be fore that once the variant-aware dependencies are in order, so
we could say things like depends_build port:xorg-applewmproto:-
system_x11 or whatever the syntax would be.

For now, yeah... it's overkill bringing in a few extra headers, but
it's safer.