A PortGroup for building more 32/64-bit universal packages

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Thu Jan 22 14:25:15 PST 2009

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at ...> writes:

> I decided to start with pkgconfig because it has no dependencies and
> has issues building 64-bit with the old way.
I got pkgconfig and merge_universal to build with the following addition
if { ${os.arch}=="i386" } {
        set universal_archs_supported  "ppc i386 x86_64"
} else {
        set universal_archs_supported  "ppc ppc64"
}

I think that the only time this will fail is on a non-G5 PowerPC system
whose user has (for some reason) set universal_archs to include ppc64.

I will open a ticket as a place to put the still small number of ports which
seem to work with merge_universal.

> There's a bug open with the authors of pkg-config but there has been
> no response to it in a year and a half so I'm not hopeful. I suppose
> I should ask the authors of glib instead.

I would suggest that PowerPC/x86 universal should be a low priority.
Of course, that is easy for me to say since I have no need of it.

-Marcus