How to required packages with variants

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Wed Jan 28 12:24:36 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 11:43 -0800, David Evans wrote:
> My understanding is the without the x264 option, ffmpeg includes its
> own
> codec (h264) and
> with it an additional libx264 codec is included.  So I guess it
> depends
> on whether the libx264
> codec is being called by name and what the relative facilities of
> each
> are -- you probably
> know more about this than I do though.

FFmpeg includes codecs for reading and writing. Read and write support
is not the same.

=> In the case of H264, FFMpeg can read natively but needs x264 to write
H264.

=> The same happens for mp3 : FFmpeg can read natively and not write.
Therefore FFmpeg needs liblame.

I had a look at the sox package that MLT uses for effect and sound
conversion. Well, I was surprised to see several variants:

Variants: ffmpeg flac lame mad universal vorbis

Sox is the swizz army knife for converting files. What is the interest
of Sox for users if people cannot read/write in vorbis or flac or even
use FFmpeg with it. This could lead to problems in softwares like MLT or
Kdenlive.

Kind regards,
JM