nudge: please commit updates to pcb and ng-spice for subsequent gEDA port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 31 16:48:50 PST 2009

On Jan 31, 2009, at 10:10, Nicolas Godbout wrote:

> As suggested in the MacPorts guide, I take the liberty to nudge
> committers on the dev list to process updates for the following
> ports following a 72 hour grace period:
>
> port pcb : ticket #18172, submitted four days ago.
> has been assigned to the listed maintainer, but is more than likely
> abandoned.  The current port version dates from almost four years ago.
>
> While you're at it, you can process
> port ng-spice: ticket #18208, submitted only two days ago, but
> still has not been assigned at all.  This is a 'nomaintainer' port
> and could be processed immediately by any maintainer.
>
> Sorry for leaning on the side of impatience, but I'm trying to
> complete a list of ports for the whole gEDA (GPL's Electronic
> Design Automation) suite and that's a total of about fifteen
> ports.  Having up-to-date ports for present portions of that suite
> would be really helpful.
>
> Actually, I'd like to have your opinion on this: the core gEDA
> package consists of 10 ports that I already have working on my
> local repository.  Should I:
> 1) open 10 tickets, one for each port submission?
> 2) open 1 ticket with all port files and patches in a compressed file?
> 3) apply first as a port maintainer so that I can also commit all
> these new packages?
>
> Your feedback on this would be appreciated.

It's good practice to file tickets even if you're going to commit
changes yourself. That way there's not just a record of what you did
(the commit) but also a thorough explanation of why (the ticket).

As with all new maintainers, we would like to see your portfiles
before they're added to the tree. That's why we don't necessarily
grant commit access to new members right away. We would like there to
be a history of good contributions from you first. Once we see that
you know how to write portfiles properly that take into account all
the nuances, then we'll be happy to grant commit access.