macports website

Kristofer Henriksson kthenriksson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 13:13:46 PDT 2009

I read the article he linked to, and it seems that one main concern
with XHTML is the MIME type issue, which exists because IE does not
deal with the XHTML mime type properly. We deal with this by sending
the wrong MIME type to IE. The result is that IE receives invalid
markup but parses it anyway and presents the page satisfactorily, and
everyone else receives entirely valid XHTML.

I suppose there is also the issue of error handling brought up by the
recent ticket, for which the two are polar opposites, with XHTML
failing entirely for any error, and HTML not failing for any error at
all, just rendering as well as possible. Is this also a concern--do we
prefer no errors in the event of invalid markup?

Any points I missed?

As a side note, such divergent error handling makes it a shame that
there is no debug-type option for error handling to be set in
browsers, with XHTML-style failure when debugging is enabled and
silent HTML-style perseverance when disabled.