-j2 default and sudo usage

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 31 13:30:19 PDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 09:57, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

> shock avsm$ ls -la /dev/null
> ls: /dev/null: No such file or directory
>
> A reboot corrects the issue, and it happens every time.

[snip]

> Does this sort of problem ring any bells with anyone?

Yes, installing mysql5-devel +innodb would do this too if I had not
applied this patch:

http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/databases/mysql5-devel/
files/patch-storage-innobase-Makefile.in.diff?rev=50049

Check if your software is compiling anything like that, using "-o /
dev/null". Apparently at least on Mac OS X, when this fails, /dev/
null gets deleted, causing great problems of course.