Forcing a variant to a variant

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jun 4 16:08:55 PDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2009, at 17:49, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> I want to do this:
>> variant clamav description {Enable virus scanning} {
>>     depends_lib-append port:clamav +server
>> }
>>
>> This errors on me, I assume as a result of the +server, which is
>> clamav just installs a startup item.
>>
>> Within my port, I will want to be able to do:
>> port install assp +clamav and have the +server forced.
>
> It is not possible. This is issue #126.
>
> Consider requesting that the +server variant be removed from the
> clamav port, and a new port clamav-server be created instead. See
> the postgresql ports and (in a moment) the mysql5 port for examples
> of this strategy.

Thanks.  So to get this straight, the desired goal is port duplication
outside of a few lines for a variant?

clamav port
code....
code...
more code....
code....
code...
more code....

clamav server port
code....
code...
more code....
( startup item )
code....
code...
more code....

I think I understand why, and I think I understand the long term goal
here, but the above has me wondering a little.

Is it a terrible idea to pop in a second startup item in which will
just instal the clamav startup item?  This seems messy to me, but it
also will get the job done.

I will in fact request the clamav port be serverized as well.
Thanks for the explanations.