Is it time to start regression testing yet?

Andre Stechert stechert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:26:07 PDT 2009

2009/6/8 Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com>:
> On Jun 8, 2009, at 2:46 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I proposed this two years ago but was shot down because this was considered an
>> invasion of privacy and people didn't want MacPorts "phoning home". I had wanted
>> to have a nice status display on the MacPorts homepage showing which ports were
>> the most popular, for example. I see their point, but I'm glad to re-open the topic if
>> attitudes have changed.
>
> I think we should re-open it.  I do not see this as an invasion of privacy, and it could
> very well be turned off, or requested on demand:
> Report stats to MP [yes] [no] [never again]

IMHO, Apple provides a pretty great user experience for this that we
could emulate.

If a program crashes, ask the user if they'd like to report the crash
using a dialog box
(or dialog box equivalent).  These are not strictly crashes, but I
*think* the user
experience translates.

The fancy version could allow user input values "always", "never",
"yes", and "no",
which would translate to persisted user preferences of "always",
"never", or "ask".
The default preference would be "ask".

Cheers,
Andre