lead up to SL

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jun 9 16:48:55 PDT 2009

On 2009-06-09 21:02, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> I wasn't around during the leadup to Leopard, so I'd like a few
> pointers.  How should I be handling SL regressions in MacPorts during
> these coming months?  Should we have a special tag/keyword to place on
> radars?  trac doesn't support blocking/dependencies in bugs, so maybe
> a wiki page to track the big problems... ?

Trac has keywords for this purpose. This can be used to tag tickets for
a specific problem. For example, for regressions on Snow Leopard
something like "snow.leopard" would be appropriate.

I already started to add some quick links on
<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Tickets>. It would be handy if new
introduced keywords would also get a link there as it makes it easier to
search for related tickets.

> As it is right now, there are a few crucial ports that don't "just
> work" which block many others.  python2[56] don't work +universal nor -
> universal (at least on my system).  apr, gcc42, emacs, libsdl, libusb,
> libart_lgpl also fail.  I haven't really started diving into these
> build failures yet, so I don't know more than "it failed".
>
> Additionally, should we update the default universal archs on SL?  As
> it is right now, on 64bit machines, -universal will be x86_64 and
> +universal is i386 ppc.  That will lead to a world of trouble.  I
> changed mine to x86_64 i386 ppc which seems to be the sane default for
> SL.

I would say the number of active PPC machines is dropping more and more.
I would even assume that many people are already using +universal just
to get 64-bit support at the moment.

Rainer