Looking for a portfile review before submitting (rbldnsd)

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jun 10 18:14:55 PDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:
> Scott Haneda wrote:
>> Hello, I have made a portfile, looking for a quick review, and any
>> suggestions for cleanup.
>>
>> pre-destroot {
>>       addgroup _rbldnsd
>>       set gid [existsgroup _rbldnsd]
>>       adduser _rbldnsd gid=${gid} realname=rbldnsd home=${prefix}/
>> sbin
>> }
>
> Do we need a new user for this daemon?  How about just using nobody?

The app does require a user to run, at least, I had to specify one.
Is "nobody" a valid user?  You mean to add in a user of nobody, or
just let the user run it with no user specified, or specifically chose
nobody?

>> destroot {
>>    ########## These perms are obviously wrong, fix them later
>>    # Install binary
>>    xinstall -m 0755 ${worksrcpath}/${name} ${destroot}${prefix}/sbin
>>    # Install man page 'rbldnsd.8'
>>    xinstall -m 0640 ${worksrcpath}/${name}.8 ${destroot}${prefix}/
>> share/man/man8
>>    # Install misc files
>>    xinstall -d ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}/
>
> Need ${destroot}

Can you elaborate, I am not sure I am following?

>>    xinstall -m 0640 -W ${worksrcpath} \
>>            NEWS README.user TODO \
>>            ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}/
>
> Need ${destroot}

Not getting it :(

>> }
>> post-activate {
>>    ui_msg "
>>
>> =
>> =
>> =
>>    ${name} has been installed correctly
>>    You can find ${name} at ${prefix}/sbin/${name}
>>    Please see the man page `man ${name}` for detailed setup
>> instructions.
>>    You will need a launchd plist file to start the server.  Please
>> create
>>    one based on your specific needs.
>>    ${name} does not have a configuration file, all configuration
>> files
>>    are specified as arguments to the startup of ${name}
>>    You can find additional files of interest in:
>>         ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}/NEWS
>>         ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}/README.user
>>         ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}/TODO
>>    See ${homepage} for more information.
>>
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> ===================================================================="
>> }
>
> This is redundant information I think, all portfiles behave the same
> way, so I don't see why it should be printed.

Mainly, because this was a strange binary to use. There is no "make
install", you get a bunch of files, the Web site does not tell you
there is even a man page, and the docs on the Web site I could put in
a ui_messages they are so short.  NEWS and TODO were not valuable to
me, but README.user was.

I could lose the files, but the mention of there being a man page was
valuable to me at least.  I will nuke the ui_msg though.