wxwidgets 2.8.10

Vincent R. forumer at smartmobili.com
Tue Jun 16 04:52:52 PDT 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:09:57 -0500, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2009, at 10:25, Vincent R. wrote:
>
>> Sorry if this is the wrong mailing list but I have installed
>> macports and
>> do my first test, I was interested in wxwidgets
>> so I have enter
>>
>> sudo port install wxWidgets-devel
>>
>> After having downloaded and installed lots of dependencies at then
>> I can
>> see :--->  Fetching wxWidgets-devel
>> --->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-2.8.10-rc2.tar.bz2 from
>> http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/wxWidgets/2.8.10-rc2
>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for wxWidgets-devel
>> --->  Extracting wxWidgets-devel
>> --->  Configuring wxWidgets-devel
>> --->  Building wxWidgets-devel
>> --->  Staging wxWidgets-devel into destroot
>> --->  Installing wxWidgets-devel @2.8.10-rc2_0
>> --->  Activating wxWidgets-devel @2.8.10-rc2_0
>> --->  Cleaning wxWidgets-devel
>>
>> And once it's finished I had a look in /opt/local/lib/wx-devel and
>> I can
>> see that dynamic lib have 2.8.6 suffix as shown below:
>>
>> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin       30 15 jui 17:12
>> libwx_macu_ogl-2.8.6.dylib
>> -> libwx_macu_ogl-2.8.6.0.0.dylib
>>

>> Is it something normal ?
>> Shouln't be libwx_xxxxx_2.8.10 ?
>>
>> Sorry for my question I am a noob in mac and mac ports ?
>
> Welcome to MacPorts!
>
> As Jyrki said, you probably want the wxWidgets port instead of the
> wxWidgets-devel port. The former is at version 2.8.10 while the
> latter is currently the older 2.8.10-rc2. Generally, "-devel" ports
> are development versions while non-devel ports are stable versions.
>
> wxWidgets 2.8.10 installs these files on my system:
>
>    /opt/local/lib/libwx_macu_ogl-2.8.0.6.0.dylib
>    /opt/local/lib/libwx_macu_ogl-2.8.0.dylib
>    /opt/local/lib/libwx_macu_ogl-2.8.dylib

Ok but generally difference between foo and foo-devel is the fact that
later include all you need
to developp (include and static libs).
And this is my case, I want to developp with wxwidgets and not only run
precompiled application linked with wxwidgets
so does your message is still valid ?
If I install wxwidgets, will I be able to developp some wxwidgets app ?