[52946] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 29 16:46:04 PDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 10:31, William Siegrist wrote:

> I believe the problem is MacPorts will wait for a while (10
> seconds?) before giving up on a mirror which just drops packets
> instead of refusing the connection outright. It does not break MP,
> but it is pretty annoying. David should have explained the
> limitations on the mirror at the beginning, but at least we know
> now so a workaround can be put into the mirror selection.

For me it takes about 5 seconds to fetch zlib, of which about 1
second is actually downloading the file. For glib2, which is larger
and has more mirrors, it takes 11 seconds, of which about 7 seconds
are downloading the file. So either way, about 4 seconds for MacPorts
to set up and ping all the servers (including my local mirrors which
are offline and not responding to pings for this test). If we can
make MacPorts quicker at setting up and pinging the servers that
would of course be great, but 4 seconds doesn't seem all that bad. Is
this also what you're seeing, or is it taking much longer for you?

What workaround are you thinking of for the mirror selection?

$ time port -d fetch zlib
DEBUG: Found port in file:///Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/archivers/
zlib
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/
archivers/zlib
DEBUG: setting option os.universal_supported to yes
DEBUG: org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a pre-
existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: adding the default universal variant
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port zlib.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port zlib.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port zlib.
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.main (zlib)
--->  Fetching zlib
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.fetch (zlib)
--->  zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /mp/var/macports/
distfiles/zlib
DEBUG: Pinging www.zlib.net...
DEBUG: Pinging www.gzip.org...
DEBUG: Pinging host1.local...
DEBUG: Pinging host2.local...
DEBUG: Pinging host3.local...
DEBUG: Pinging distfiles.macports.org...
DEBUG: Pinging arn.se.distfiles.macports.org...
DEBUG: www.zlib.net ping time is 36.238
DEBUG: www.gzip.org ping time is 150.544
DEBUG: host1.local ping time is 10000
DEBUG: host2.local ping time is 10000
DEBUG: host3.local ping time is 10000
DEBUG: distfiles.macports.org ping time is 64.301
DEBUG: arn.se.distfiles.macports.org ping time is 167.334
--->  Attempting to fetch zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2 from http://www.zlib.net/
   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
Time  Current
                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
Left  Speed
100  415k  100  415k    0     0   284k      0  0:00:01  0:00:01
--:--:--  438k

real    0m4.855s
user    0m0.271s
sys     0m0.174s

$ time port -d fetch glib2
DEBUG: Found port in file:///Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/devel/glib2
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/
devel/glib2
DEBUG: setting option os.universal_supported to yes
DEBUG: org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a pre-
existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: Using group file /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/_resources/
port1.0/group/muniversal-1.0.tcl
DEBUG: universal variant already exists, so not adding the default one
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port glib2.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port glib2.
DEBUG: Executing variant darwin provides darwin
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.main (glib2)
--->  Fetching glib2
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.fetch (glib2)
--->  glib-2.20.4.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /mp/var/macports/
distfiles/glib2
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.cse.buffalo.edu...
DEBUG: Pinging www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu...
DEBUG: Pinging www.mirrorservice.org...
DEBUG: Pinging fr2.rpmfind.net...
DEBUG: Pinging mirror.aarnet.edu.au...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.unina.it...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.acc.umu.se...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.belnet.be...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.dit.upm.es...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.no.gnome.org...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.chg.ru...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.kddlabs.co.jp...
DEBUG: Pinging mirror.internode.on.net...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.gnome.org...
DEBUG: Pinging ftp.gtk.org...
DEBUG: Pinging host1.local...
DEBUG: Pinging host2.local...
DEBUG: Pinging host3.local...
DEBUG: Pinging distfiles.macports.org...
DEBUG: Pinging arn.se.distfiles.macports.org...
DEBUG: ftp.cse.buffalo.edu ping time is 67.610
DEBUG: www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu ping time is 10000
DEBUG: www.mirrorservice.org ping time is 139.922
DEBUG: fr2.rpmfind.net ping time is 10000
DEBUG: mirror.aarnet.edu.au ping time is 226.017
DEBUG: ftp.unina.it ping time is 170.698
DEBUG: ftp.acc.umu.se ping time is 186.367
DEBUG: ftp.belnet.be ping time is 152.718
DEBUG: ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp ping time is 243.557
DEBUG: ftp.dit.upm.es ping time is 159.512
DEBUG: ftp.no.gnome.org ping time is 179.696
DEBUG: ftp.chg.ru ping time is 198.506
DEBUG: ftp.kddlabs.co.jp ping time is 10000
DEBUG: mirror.internode.on.net ping time is 245.428
DEBUG: ftp.gnome.org ping time is 170.119
DEBUG: ftp.gtk.org ping time is 10000
DEBUG: host1.local ping time is 10000
DEBUG: host2.local ping time is 10000
DEBUG: host3.local ping time is 10000
DEBUG: distfiles.macports.org ping time is 61.841
DEBUG: arn.se.distfiles.macports.org ping time is 163.148
--->  Attempting to fetch glib-2.20.4.tar.bz2 from http://
distfiles.macports.org/glib2
   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
Time  Current
                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
Left  Speed
100 4917k  100 4917k    0     0   689k      0  0:00:07  0:00:07

real    0m11.184s
user    0m0.324s
sys     0m0.373s