[51564] users/dweber

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Thu May 28 15:44:11 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On May 28, 2009, at 14:52, Darren Weber wrote:
>
>  All good points, thanks.  I was not aware of the user svn facility until a
>> few days ago.  I've been working on various things for several months, in a
>> local repository.  I didn't want to lose any of those files, so they were
>> all added to my user svn yesterday.  Many of those local repo files, like
>> the qt4-mac and postgresql ports, are certainly outdated.
>>

> I figured that's probably how this came about. And there wouldn't have been
> an automated way to have it now retroactively figure out what revisions of
> each port you had based your changes on and make "svn cp"ies of them
> correctly now. It would have been an involved manual process.

I did manage my local ports repo with cvs on my local machine.  It might be
possible to track back to the initial version of the file in my cvs and find
a match for it in the macports trunk.  Extra work, are the benefits worth
it?  When I thought the local repo versions were doing what I wanted, I did
submit some trac tickets, so maybe the changes were adopted (maybe not).   I
don't recall the ticket numbers, but they could be found easily enough.
I've gotta get back to real work, I've done way too much on vtk and
InsightToolkit in the last few months.  Hopefully, I'm now set to develop
some useful things based on that foundation.  I may come back to the other
port modifications (like postgresql, qt4-mac), if necessary.

>  I've had a nagging thought in the back of my mind about merging changes
>> into the macports-trunk, so I do need education on how to do that from my
>> user svn.  Is this stuff covered in the developers section of the wiki?  I
>> don't recall reading it before.  I was working on the basis of the local
>> repository information at:
>>

> I don't think that's covered. How to use Subversion for merging changes is
> best learned by reading the Subversion book:
>
> http://svnbook.org/

OK.

Thanks,
Darren