how to merge my users svn Portfile into macports trunk?

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Fri May 29 12:51:12 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Toby Peterson <toby at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 28, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Darren Weber wrote:
>
>  The file in ~/myports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile is now in the user
>> svn at:
>>
>> https://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/users/dweber/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
>>
>> This file is now ready to be merged into the main trunk at:
>>
>> https://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
>>
>> What is the right way to do this, using svn?
>>

> Please see `svn merge --help`. You most likely want the third usage case.
>
> - Toby

Please forgive my ignorance of svn (I am in the process of R'ing TFM).  I've
used cvs more than svn (but that is changing fast).  For now, I want to get
this right, so I would appreciate some advice on the best practice to run a
merge or update on two versions of InsightToolkit, i.e.:

https://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile

https://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/users/dweber/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile

The latter revision 3 of the port has been modified and tested within my
'user' svn repository.  It's now ready for the trunk.  What is the best way
to do this, so that svn will migrate the revision comments that were made in
my user repository over to the trunk?

When I was using a local repository, following the guide info (
http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories), I would do the
following in the bash shell:

$ cp ~/myports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile \
     ~/macports-trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
$ cd ~/macports-trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/
$ svn commit -m "..." Portfile

However, now that ~/myports is part of the macports svn tree, there must be
a better way to do this with svn.  So, what about this:

$ svn merge ~/myports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile \
     ~/macports-trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile \
     -m "merge port rev 3 into the trunk"

Will this merge all the revision comments from both development trees, i.e.:

[ dweber at X ~ ]$ svn log ~/myports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
r51603 | dweber at macports.org | 2009-05-28 19:52:43 -0700 (Thu, 28 May 2009)
| 2 lines

-m "ensure post-destroot and any other hacks do not depend on the port name,
so the port can be renamed; created $itkName to serve as a global variable
to identify the conventional library name for ITK"

r51600 | dweber at macports.org | 2009-05-28 13:39:54 -0700 (Thu, 28 May 2009)
| 2 lines

removing hack for FindITK.cmake after making that change in my copy of cmake
in my user svn

r51573 | dweber at macports.org | 2009-05-27 17:37:29 -0700 (Wed, 27 May 2009)
| 2 lines

post-destroot hacks for FindITK.cmake

r51562 | dweber at macports.org | 2009-05-27 15:49:47 -0700 (Wed, 27 May 2009)
| 2 lines

[ dweber at X ~ ]$ svn log
~/macports-trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
r51478 | dweber at macports.org | 2009-05-25 22:51:35 -0700 (Mon, 25 May 2009)
| 2 lines

many bug fixes for wrapping, works for python25 and itkwish is working

r51322 | dweber at macports.org | 2009-05-22 17:40:21 -0700 (Fri, 22 May 2009)
| 2 lines

Revision 1; adding tweaks for the examples and testing variants; the
wrapping seems to work now - at least for python

r50785 | ryandesign at macports.org | 2009-05-09 02:53:31 -0700 (Sat, 09 May
2009) | 2 lines

InsightToolkit, vtk-devel: Fix typo in comment

r50784 | ryandesign at macports.org | 2009-05-09 02:47:01 -0700 (Sat, 09 May
2009) | 2 lines

InsightToolkit: correct typos in long description and comments

r50759 | dweber at macports.org | 2009-05-08 15:29:45 -0700 (Fri, 08 May 2009)
| 2 lines

updated version; trying to add new variants for wrapping, etc.

r50757 | dweber at macports.org | 2009-05-08 15:28:30 -0700 (Fri, 08 May 2009)
| 2 lines

Move InsightToolkit to graphics, where VTK is already, as this is primarily
an image processing library

r34064 | ryandesign at macports.org | 2008-02-11 11:55:24 -0800 (Mon, 11 Feb
2008) | 2 lines

InsightToolkit: new port! See #13932

As an svn novice, the following is a bit confusing:

$ svn diff ~/myports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
~/macports-trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
$
$ colordiff ~/myports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
~/macports-trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile
2c2
< # $Id: Portfile 51603 2009-05-29 02:52:43Z dweber at macports.org $
---
> # $Id: Portfile 51478 2009-05-26 05:51:35Z dweber at macports.org $
8c8
< revision        3
---
> revision        2
53,54c53
< # The parallel build would be nice, but it's not reliable.
< #use_parallel_build  yes
---
> use_parallel_build  yes
.