[MacPorts] #22219: opencore-amr port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 26 01:22:37 PST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 23:39, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2009-11-26 02:00, Lee Azzarello wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:39 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>>
>>> Can we actually distribute this given that AMR is patent-encumbered?
>>
>> The code has an Apache 2.0 license. Does that work with your distribution terms?
>
> That is a copyright license, not a patent license. It even says as much
> in the source:
> <http://opencore-amr.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=opencore-amr/opencore-amr;a=blob_plain;f=opencore/codecs_v2/audio/gsm_amr/patent_disclaimer.txt;hb=HEAD>

Well, if the source code is published, and can be compiled, then from a technical perspective it can be turned into a port. As to the patent license requirement, we have some precedent for that. For example, the +bytecode variant of the freetype port. This enables the patented TrueType bytecode interpreter. When installing with this variant, the port advises the user of the situation and directs them to http://www.freetype.org/patents.html for more information. An opencore-amr port could do similarly, assuming that is acceptable to the developers.