architecture wanted: ppc7400

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Oct 2 09:10:31 PDT 2009

Daniel J. Luke wrote:

>> I thought the "support plan" (if there is such a thing as support)
>> said "Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger as a legacy platform"...
>
> We had agreed a long while back to support the current and previous
> major release.

No problem, it might be just the pages on the website that are out of
sync...

Specifically http://www.macports.org/install.php

>> And then kill Tiger support for next major release, just like it
>> said "Leopard, Tiger and Panther as a legacy platform" earlier ?
>
> Both with the release of 10.5 and 10.6, Ryan has expressed desire
> to keep support for the older release. As a general rule, we don't
> discourage anyone from making things work on older releases, but
> eventually base/ changes tend to make things not work (or not work
> easily).

Okay, sounds pretty much like the general rule for Other Platforms then.

"You can stay, if you promise to not get in the way".

> Personally, I don't go out of my way to support anything other than
> the current/previous major releases, but am willing to incorporate
> fixes from other people into ports I maintain for older releases.

Personally, I don't think I'll be upgrading to the current major
release...

At least not unless Santa has some nice surprises. :-)

--anders