py26-numpy, py26-scipy, and macports atlas/lapack/blas

James Kyle jameskyle at macports.org
Fri Oct 2 20:06:31 PDT 2009

I've been working on the numpy and scipy ports for python26. I've
succeeded at accomplishing the following for both:

- default build against gcc43 toolchain
- default build links against macports atlas/lapack/blas libraries
instead of the apple ones
- gcc43 disabled with no_gcc43 variant
-- macports atlas disabled with no_atlas variant (falls back to system
atlas/lapack)

I think these changes bring the numpy/scipy ports into line with the
"macports way" of using ports as dependencies whenever possible. It
also is in line with the request in ticket #20103 to settle on a
common compiler for scientific oriented ports to reduce possible cross
linking issues.

A practical example of problems caused by cross linking is found in
ticket #20491, where ipython segfaults when an exception is thrown by
a module linked against macports atlas.

Since this is a pretty significant change in default behavior, I
thought I'd drop a line to the list for discussion.

Both numpy and scipy tests pass 100% after this change.

> <nose.result.TextTestResult run=2030 errors=0 failures=0>

> <nose.result.TextTestResult run=3488 errors=0 failures=0>

Cheers,

-james