Download sources from servers that don't respond to ping

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Oct 4 12:39:17 PDT 2009

I had the misfortune of some bad routes with my colocation provider a
while back. Traceroute being the main tool I was using. This combined
with Comcast doing strange things on their routers gave me a chance to
learn a little more about checking hosts.

Rather than ping, what about "curl --head example.com". Of course you
can be as specific as you want and attach as deep a URI as you like.

This may not work as I believe it's a port 80 based test and I'm not
sure what ports need testing. Though if it's using ping, with as
unreliable as that is, I can't see curl being anything but an
improvement.

I assume these are rsync servers, or are we talking about the actual
servers that hold the distro?  In the latter, curl would work perfect,
in the former, there would be a requirement that http be active. Or
perhaps curl could be told to hit another port.

Where ping and traceroute fail me for basic up status testing, curl
with a --head flag always gives me more data, in more detail.

Any reasons this would not be a better approach?
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.