wxPython-devel fork?

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at macports.org
Thu Oct 8 09:25:09 PDT 2009

Hi Vince,

On Sep 23, 2009, at 5:04 AM, vincent habchi wrote:

> I have ported the Grass (v. 6.4) GIS app to MacPorts in my private
> tree. However, Grass relies on Wxpython. In order to get a universal
> build, I had to use the svn version of Wxpython, the only one
> compatible with the newest wxWidgets 2.9.0, which features the
> osx_cocoa 32/64-build.
>
> The standard wxWidgets-devel Portfile, while up to date, lacks the
> universal/cocoa option. I have a private version of the port called
> wxWidgets29, that serves as a foundation for both my private "py26-
> wxpython-devel" port and Grass.
>
> In order to commit Grass and py26-wxpython-devel, is it reasonable
> to fork wxwindows-devel in wxwindows29 or shall I modify the
> wxwindows-devel portfile? I proposed the patched version to the
> owners, but got no response. I feel wxwindows-devel should follow
> wxWindows development (even into 3.0) while wxwindows29 could be
> used only for the 2.9 unstable branch.
>
> Opinion?

Since there are no opinions on this, I'd say do what you think is
best. I think your proposal makes sense. With regards to grass, I
would update the current "grass" port to 6.4 and link to the wx*-devel
ports, and make a new "grass63" port with the current grass portfile.
Usually the ports with a version in the name are the old ones.

Cheers!
Frank