Dependency on developer tools

Lee Azzarello lee at dropio.com
Fri Oct 23 12:25:20 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com> wrote:

> Looking over the MP website install notes. I see dev tools is required.
>
> This bit me once, I stupidly set up a new machine and just forgot to
> install dev tools.
>
> Is there any good reason MP should not stop the installer if it does not
> detect a valid dev tool install?

OS X does not come with a compiler by default and macports requires you to
compile the software before installing it. The only to get a compiler is to
install Xcode from the installation DVD.
There is a possibility of not requiring developer tools to install open
source software on OS X, but from what I can see there isn't that large
community supporting binary packaging. The Fink project tried but their
binary packages are very old.

Macports does have the option of using the FreeBSD package format to install
binaries, though I don't think macports offers that option. Correct me if
I'm wrong as I'm new to macports. I'm a Debian GNU/Linux user who supports
OS X at work for a development platform.