The opendarwin .com debacle

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Oct 27 13:36:15 PDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 11:37 AM, James Berry wrote:

> I've got to believe we have better incoming links to our site, so if
> we better structured our site to do cross linking between categories
> (and perhaps stoop to the subdomain tricks he does), we could
> presumably improve this situation immensely.

I'm told by someone who does this for a living that it's all about the
anchor tags, and also making sure that all the individual ports are
promoted appropriately on their own page / sections.  He mentioned
that there was a guide on google itself which described how to best
optimize one's site for the PageRank algorithm, but I'm not able to
find it just now.  What I did find were a number of other sites, from
the rather mathematical (http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank.html) to
the more succinct: http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/google.shtml

Either way, if darwinports.com is out-ranking macports.com on
individual port names then I can only suspect that they're following
more of the principles espoused at those sites than MacPorts is, and
that should be relatively easy to fix if anyone is really motivated. :)

- Jordan