Snow Leopard +universal necessity

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Sep 2 06:09:16 PDT 2009

> On Snow Leopard, we build x86_64 by default. But there are some
> ports, e.g. wine, that cannot build 64-bit, so they force themselves
> to build 32-bit instead. But that means all the dependencies must
> also be 32-bit, or 32-/64-bit universal. So it seems like it should
> probably be our recommendation to all Snow Leopard users to install
> all possible ports +universal for x86_64/i386, to avoid pain down
> the road when the user wants to install a port that happens to only
> be available as 32-bit. Most easily this could be accomplished by
> putting "+universal" into variants.conf. Maybe we should even do so
> in the default variants.conf on Snow Leopard.
>
> Not installing dependencies universal causes issues like this:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20912

Sounds reasonable, however I wonder if this is a temporary issue that
impacts a handful of ports.  Do you know if there are many projects
apart from wine that need 32-bit?

I'd say that, if it does impact several ports to go for it.  If it's
only wine or one or two other ports, I'd leave things as they are and
post it as a known bug.