build_arch vs. configure.build_arch

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 6 14:13:31 PDT 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 14:44, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 07:48:32AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt said:
>> What is the difference between build_arch and configure.build_arch?
>> Which should we compare against in Portfiles when we want to know?
>> Which should we set when we want to force the build one way or
>> another?
>
> configure.build_arch defaults to whatever build_arch is:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl#L154

So, why are there two variables, and which one should we use?

>> Is there an easy way to say "this port doesn't support 64-bit" or do
>> we have to do the "if x86_64 is requested then use i386 else if ppc64
>> is requested then use ppc" dance?
>
> The problem with this is, what do we do about dependencies?  If port B
> depends on A, and A was built 64bit but B says "I only do 32bit",
> then what?

I don't care about dependencies right now; that's #20728.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20728

I guess my request for an easy way to indicate that only 32-bit is
supported is the "archs i386 ppc" syntax proposed here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20739

I'll just do it the long way for now, like the other ports have been
doing it.

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/56602