version dependencies in MacPorts?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Sep 13 11:37:53 PDT 2009

Jack Howarth wrote:

> ps I can imagine that this might in concept be solved by
> requiring the user to do a selfupdate instead, however you
> would still need a mechanism to stage the build order in
> a manner that required version/revision dependencies are
> satisfied in the correct order.

I believe that's the usual workaround, keep everything on
the edge and requiring selfupdate and related upgrades.

But sometimes it is handled by making different "major"
ports like "foo1" and "foo2", and sometimes it can be
addressed by versioning on a specific library or file -
for instance when soname is bumped or headers are added.

But there is no generic versioned dependencies... Yet ?
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#dependencies

--anders