Interesting survey on Snow Leopard package managers

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon Sep 14 14:45:10 PDT 2009

> I won't be on 10.6 until MP 1.8 (or whatever the new version is)
> plays well with 10.6 and even then I have a number of G5's so there.

Well everyone on the thread so far has agreed that running the 64-bit
kernel results in the correct binaries being built.

It seems that on 32-bit things get murky, that it's a matter of how
you go about building them:  one way is to use the flags that MacPorts
is throwing in based on the configuration and not relying on uname, or
you can rely entirely on the configure scripts that do use uname
(which is technically incorrect but still provides functional though
seemingly less optimized binaries).

That being said, MacPorts 1.8.0 is a lot better than sitting on 1.7.1,
even in 10.5 :-)