configure.build_arch

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Sep 15 17:25:26 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 05:18:32PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 17:05, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:
> > --On September 15, 2009 4:01:43 PM -0700 Toby Peterson <toby at macports.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> For the few ports that actually care, only --build makes any sense. We
> >> don't support cross-compiling, and very few configure scripts get it
> >> right anyway.
> >
> > I think Jack's point is that in 10.6 on a 32 bit kernel you effectively are
> > cross-compiling whether you want to or not.  You're building 64 bit binaries
> > on a system that claims to be a 32 bit system.  That seems like
> > cross-compiling to me.  Am I misunderstanding something?
>
> As I've noted numerous times now, config.guess still reports i386 on
> K64, so this perceived problem exists regardless of the kernel
> architecture.
>
> - Toby

Toby,
   As I already admitted, I was in error about uname -p reporting x86_64
on the 64-bit kernel. However that is completely orthogonal to the issue
of "configure.build_arch x86_64" passing -m64 on the CFLAGS while neglecting
to clue in configure that "uname -p" is wrong by passing "--target=x86_64-apple-darwin10"
to it. You still have the situation of configure believing the host is behaving
as a 32-bit system while actually the compiler is generating 64-bit code.
You are missing the forest for the trees here.
             Jack