macport's oddity

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sat Sep 19 19:25:03 PDT 2009

   I am running into an issue with MacPort's that
seems rather odd. My system shell is set to tcsh
and and I have the normal entries in my .cshrc of...

##
# Your previous /Users/howarth/.cshrc file was backed up as /Users/howarth/.cshrc.macports-saved_2009-09-11_at_18:03:54
##

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2009-09-11_at_18:03:54: adding an appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
setenv PATH /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

If I build and install a new package in one
Terminal window, normally under fink the installed
files were immediately available in the other
terminal windows (or worse case I had to issue a
rehash command). I am finding that in the other
terminal windows, rehash doesn't allow the file
to execute and I have to open a new terminal window
for the newly installed files in /opt/local/bin
to be found when I type their unpathed filename.
Is this normal for MacPorts?
         Jack