[MacPorts] #21437: The MAMP howto doesn't match the sample phpMyAdmin config file

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 23 21:22:42 PDT 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 23:09, Steve Meether wrote:

> I made no changes to the php.ini file, so no I did not configure the
> socket.

Ok, then that was the problem.

See also:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21250

> Also, the default value for "connect_type" in the config.inc.php
> file is "tcp".  So it sounds like 127.0.0.1 should have been set for
> "host" anyway...?

I understand that the default connect_type in phpMyAdmin's config file
is "tcp", but when you request a TCP connection to the hostname
"localhost", MySQL will connect on a socket. This is described in the
MySQL documentation here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/connecting.html

"On Unix, MySQL programs treat the host name localhost specially, in a
way that is likely different from what you expect compared to other
network-based programs. For connections to localhost, MySQL programs
attempt to connect to the local server by using a Unix socket file.
[...] To ensure that the client makes a TCP/IP connection to the local
server, use --host or -h to specify a host name value of 127.0.0.1, or
the IP address or name of the local server."