GSoC - Dynamic Libraries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 6 15:51:28 PDT 2010

On Apr 6, 2010, at 17:38, Jordan Schneider wrote:

> I've recently discovered the packaging features that MacPorts comes with. Currently employed in the IT department at my university, I realize how useful this feature can be for wide-scale deployment. However, I noticed that the packaging system currently does not install dynamic libraries if a port requires them. Would it be acceptable to implement this, and maybe improve the packaging system as a whole in addition to the dynamic library scanner?

When you package a port with "sudo port pkg" it packages everything that's part of the port, and not anything that's part of other ports (like dynamic libraries from other ports). I don't believe changing this would be appropriate. Instead, if that's what you want, you're expected to use "sudo port mpkg" to package the port and all its dependencies.