Updating unmaintained ports: alphamail

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Sun Apr 18 10:12:55 PDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2010-4-19 02:08 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>
>> My experience is that "port livecheck" without -d will report
>> nothing if
>> livecheck is invalid for various reason, example distname has
>> changed or
>> source repository has moved. I usually do port -d livecheck.
>
> You always get an error message if the regex doesn't match anything.
> If
> the project has moved but old versions are still available from the
> old
> site, -d won't help.

Maybe livecheck.type regex does.

But there are many many ports that don't have any livecheck set in the
portfile and these report nothing with -v.

While looking for an example the first one I looked at describes what
I'm talking about. The $homepage is invalid.
Try it.

port -v livecheck 9e
port -d livecheck 9e
port cat 9e
homepage        http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~wkj/Software/9e/
master_sites    ${homepage}
distname        ${name}

So I guess it's safe to say that if port -v livecheck reports nothing
the portfiles livecheck is busted.
I suppose that's good enough but not very intuitive.

port livecheck portname reports nothing when port is up to date.
port -v livecheck portname reports nothing when livecheck is busted.

// Brad