Contact software developers when adding a port

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Dec 16 14:29:44 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 08:38, Jeremy Lavergne
<jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:
>> If we wanted to implement a download counter, we could do so with a central redirector script for example. That would also give us the opportunity to do more intelligent Geo-IP-based mirror selection, instead of the current ping-based method which causes problems for some users and some servers.
>
> Does anything prevent us from using publicly available GEO-IP scripts directly inside of MacPorts, rather than possibly creating a single point of failure?

If this is implemented, it needs to be an opt-in feature.
This has come up in the past as it relates to collecting usage
statistics. Though, if I remember correctly, those discussions have
always been shelved.

And to clarify, I'm in favor of opt-in collection of usage statistics
and think Geo-IP (local or remote) would be a useful addition as well.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp f81c4e00