Performance issue?!

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Wed Dec 22 16:07:40 PST 2010

> without knowing what your filter program does, it's not really possible to speculate.
Hmmm, I guess so.

> I'm sure there are plenty of things that run more quickly on linux (just as there are things that run more quickly on Mac OS X) - even if one or the other is in a VM.
OK, if you say so…
I thought that using gcc to build the program on Mac OS X as well as in the VM will lead to comparable code, but I understand from what you wrote that this is not necessarily the case. :-(

> you could probably use a profiler or sampler on both platforms to see where the time is being spent.

Looks like it.

The more shocking stuff I have is MacOSX's version of aqbanking being 2-3 times slower than the Linux counterpart.
This might be due to some network access which obviously seems to be that much throttled under MacOSX. Wondering which tools to use to figure out where the bottleneck is. But from aqbanking's output I do see already that it slows down during communication with the remote banking server…
I guess I'll have to contact aqbanking's mailing list for more help.