[MacPorts-Dev] About email subjects

Jim Meyer jim at geekdaily.org
Wed Jan 6 15:46:27 PST 2010

On 1/6/10 3:38 PM, Evan McClain wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:29:39AM +0100, paolo lulli wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I think it could be a great thing if the mailing list could be setup
>> to prefix subject of the email with something like this one:
>>
>> [MacPorts-Dev]
>>
>> Eitherwise it is nearly impossible to distinguish between list
>> messages and personal ones.
>> I think it something easily accomplishable.

I used to be a subject tag fan, but I'd much rather use that real estate
for real subject line these days. I don't object to short ones (< 5
chars), but more than that is kinda painful, IMhO.

> There is already a List-Id message header which can be used for
> filtering and identifying which list the email is from, but some email
> clients don't really let you see email headers or know how to deal with
> mailing lists. I guess that's why I'm still using mutt :P

Actually, almost all of them do, and many now let you set up mailing
list filters or add custom headers to filter on. It doesn't yet pass my
Mother-in-Law test*, but it should be within reach of anyone on this
mailing list (again, IMhO).

--j