mysql5-server port - General Questions

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 6 22:18:11 PST 2010

>> Why don't we chown the dirs for the user so they need not do so?
>>
>>> From this page:
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP
>> Step 3
>>
>>    sudo -u mysql mysql_install_db5
>>    sudo chown -R mysql:mysql /opt/local/var/db/mysql5/
>>    sudo chown -R mysql:mysql /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/
>>    sudo chown -R mysql:mysql /opt/local/var/log/mysql5/
>>
>>    If that doesn’t work try this:
>>
>>    sudo mysql_install_db5
>>    sudo chown -R mysql:mysql /opt/local/var/db/mysql5/
>>    sudo chown -R mysql:mysql /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/
>>
>> First, what would cause the first set of steps to fail, and what can we do to make sure they do not?  Second, other than the `mysql_install_db5`, I believe the rest of that work should be done in the Portfile, unless there is good reason not to.
>>
>> Thanks for any comments
>
> Maybe someone already has all the db's installed and they just want mysql5. They won't need and probably won't want to install/overwrite the mysql and information_schema tables. But maybe I don't understand what your getting at.

Not the way I would approach it, but a valid point.  I would install first, them move the Db's in place.  Ports would over-write data in a unintall and reinstall?

What I am getting at is the MAMP wiki has a "if that doesn't work" clause, and I hear from too many people they can not get MAMP running, I want to help solve that.

The MAMP page is entirely tailored to a first time install, so the u:g should probably be set in one of the phases of the install that MacPorts is doing.  It is an entire 5 lines of tutorial steps that could be removed.