Before reporting a bug

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 21 22:27:56 PST 2010

MacPorts now prints this message when something fails:

Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag to get complete output.

But I'd like to modify that recommendation. First, I'd like the user to clean before trying again, otherwise I don't get the full output. Second, I'd like the user to build with build.jobs=1, that way I can do a line-for-line comparison with output from my system. (If either of us use parallel building, the build lines have no chance of matching up.) Ideally the instructions we print should show exactly what port commands the user needs to run. Do we have access to that information at the time of the error message -- i.e. whether it was install or upgrade, what the port was, what other command line options they supplied -- so that we can show them the corrected command?

We also print the URL to the guide with instructions for ticket reporting. How would you feel about changing it to the URL of the relevant page in the chunked version?